Through the "Fire" of Life: Where's the Helmet?

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Where's the Helmet?

I have a concern that's been on my mind for awhile, being an avid cyclist. At least half of the cyclists I meet on the road do NOT wear helmets. First of all, helmets are mandatory in Nova Scotia. Secondly, they are lightweight and comfortable. Thirdly, you can get a CSA approved bike helmet that is not that expensive. The organized tours I ride on require them. I have seen so many riders without them that today when I met a couple riding without them, I tapped my helmet as a reminder. That probably urked them more than anything, but it urks me as well seeing so many people without them. Where are the mounties who are supposed to enforce this law?

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, it was a nice day for participating in the Atlantic Canada Bicycle Rally. The group I rode with cycled over 50 miles today. We went to the lighthouse, back through Pembroke and Sandford, then through to South Ohio via the Richmond Road, back to Yarmouth. We stopped at the Sandford drawbridge among other places.

After working up an appetite cycling, my friend Sheila and her mother kindly invited me for supper, so I had a visit there. I also visited Frank and Susan, so it was a full day indeed. See dad's blog for a picture of them on their new bikes. They were here before I got home visiting Travelling man (dad).

Tomorrow promises to be busy as well with the races slated for Lake Doucette as well as more cycling in the Rally - so will bid you all "adieu".

3 Comments:

At 10:39 PM, Blogger NanNan said...

It even amazes me that such a safety measure HAS to be legislated, and even then, people ignore the law--- And we were feeling so proud of our little jaunt--we thought 2 miles was an accomplishment--- and you went FIFTY!!! Maybe by next year, we can work up to your level- or next decade--- Have fun at the races--

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Fireguy has done more than 50 miles my friends. One year he bicycled all the way to Westville to visit us! Made pretty good time too I must admit. Of course, we had to drive him back....hehehehe.
Have fun at the races today and give us an update when you get home. Isn't it funny how you're always looking the wrong way when an incident occurs!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Fireguy said...

Good for you Cheryl! That helmet may save that little guys life some day. Bravo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Profile for jgmcrae