Through the "Fire" of Life: Steel

Monday, September 18, 2006

Steel


Meet Al Brisco. He's the chap I purchased my pedal steel guitar from a number of years ago now. He has a store and shop in Colborne Ontario, called Steel Guitars of Canada, and has been playing steel guitar professionally for over 40 years now. Traveling Man and I heard him play with Carol Baker a few years ago at the opening of the Hank Snow museum in Liverpool. It was so hot that day a fellow near to us wore a rhubarb leaf over his head to keep cool. Perhaps Traveling Man has that photo and will post it on his blog.

Speaking of pedal steel, I made my debut with the instrument at a church concert last night (Sunday) at the Wesleyan Church. People in this area don't get to hear a steel guitar played live around here that often, and seemed to really enjoy it. The main song featured was "Just A Closer Walk With Thee" played as an instrumental on pedal steel. I suspect it may be back by popular demand! Perhaps a couple of Christmas instrumentals will be in order. It was fun playing with a full band - even a harmonica player!
Bye for now!

3 Comments:

At 9:40 PM, Blogger NanNan said...

That's a great song, one of my favourites-- when are you playing again-- I'd like to hear it----glad the congregation enjoyed it-

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Fireguy said...

I'll let you know - thanks.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Tuffysmom said...

I love the Steel Guitar, and I've heard you play. I love that song too. Where in the heck did you get your talent? Must be Dad...he used to fiddle a lot in Bagotville.
And for the info of the folks out there, I happen to know that Steel Guitar is one of the hardest instruments to learn...and Fireguy taught himself!
There..if you won't brag about yourself..I'll do it for you.
Love you....Marsh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Profile for jgmcrae