Through the "Fire" of Life: What a "steel"!!!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

What a "steel"!!!

Last night I thought it was time to re-string my steel guitar, a process that takes about an hour by the time the strings are properly stretched and tuned. There are 10 strings on each neck, but I only re-strung the E-9th neck since I do not use the C6th neck at this point. There is a special service at the Wesleyan Church this coming Sunday involving "Gaither" style music, and I was asked to provide some steel accompaniment. I have played steel in the old Brunswick Street church in the past for Country Sunday Singing, and have played some steel in bands in the past. I am hoping to incorporate some steel in the "Windfall" band - we'll see how that goes. A person must be "ambidexterous" (word for the day) in order to play this instrument. Both hands, both feet, and both knees are involved in playing this thing.
A pedal steel guitar in the right hands is a versatile instrument that can be played in any genre of music. Case in point - steel guitarist Paul Franklin has toured with the rock group "Dire Straits".
To listen to some good Nashville country style steel, listen to artists such as Alan Jackson, Mark Chestnut, Vince Gill, Travis Tritt, Randy Travis, Garth Brooks, or any similar artist. One of my favorite steel guitar intros and breaks is on Vince Gill's song "Look at Us". Also check out the intro and break to Mark Chestnut's song "Too Cold at Home".
Good stuff indeed!!!!

4 Comments:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger mikki said...

Holy cow, that thing looks complicated! I think, though, that "ambidexterous" refers to hands only - not sure... Is there a word for being able to use all your limbs and appendages?! And I think I saw a typo in your blog; I believe the man's name is Travis Tritt... :o)

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger NanNan said...

Oh Mikki, you caught it first--- I was so into the whole steel thing, then I saw Twit, and went into hysterics--- Able to use ALL of your appendages??? Now Mikki, that would not be something I even want to visualize----- But Fireguy, back to the subject, you are an amazing player and I can't wait to hear the band-- but what is Gaither style music?--And who else will you playing with-- I think you were so smart to return to Wesleyan where your talents are appreciated and you can feel fulfilled---

 
At 12:06 AM, Blogger Fireguy said...

Oh gee - I'm the "Twit" now. I hope Travis doesn't stumble across this blog and see that little twit slip. Thanks Mikki for the correction.
I must practice...
Tritt Tritt
Tritt Tritt
Tritt Tritt
Tritt Tritt
Tritt Tritt
Tritt Tritt
There - I have it now.

 
At 7:45 AM, Blogger Tuffysmom said...

I think that Travis thing was a Freudian slip! You are amazing Fireguy...not only do you play the steel guitar beautifully, but you taught yourself! I love the sound of steel guitar.
And Nan...I think Mikki was just referring to four appendages....hehehehehe.
I guess we would have to call it "quadridextrous".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Profile for jgmcrae