Through the "Fire" of Life: Canada Day - Happy Birthday Canada!

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Canada Day - Happy Birthday Canada!

What a nice day for Canada's birthday! The weather cooperated in a big way for all the festivities. The waterfront was abuzz with the usual activities for this day. That is where I had lunch, having fish and chips from the truck that sets up on the public wharf during the summer.
It was basically a lazy day for me, but after all, it is the long weekend. I did have supper with my friend Sheila and her mom, then Sheila and I checked out my "geocache" which I have hidden behind where I used to live in Dayton. People have found it, using a GPS device, and signed the log book - really cool!


And what about those Toronto Blue Jays? They are on a roll, winning 9 of their last 11 games - including today over the Phillies. Remember back in 92-93 when they won two World Series in a row? They are again legitimate contenders - keep a close watch this year on Canada's only MLB team! A World Series would almost be as good as a Stanley Cup. I said almost. With hockey over, the Blue Jays can provide me with another sporting fix - as long as they remain in contention.

I saw another feature on the 6-string nation guitar. What an amazing instrument! It even has some material in it from Titanic! This guitar was 10 years in the making, the idea being born after the nail-biter Quebec referendum of 1995 to promote national unity. I sure hope the instrument doesn't get dropped - I'd almost be afraid to play it! By the way, I posted a picture of it in yesterday's post.


This year's Tour de France bike race is underway and is marred by a doping scandal. Jan Ullrich and Ivan Basso, two prominent riders, have been barred from this year's tour. The Tour is the most gruelling sporting event for any athlete as it encompasses thousands of kilometres of strenuous all out cycling, often at high altitudes in the mountains, over more than three weeks. Not that I condone doping, but it does not surprise me that these men would look to give their bodies an added boost to give them an advantage. But cycling is almost sacred in France, and the French authorities will go to great extremes to protect the integrity of the sport. Case in point - look at the scrutiny Lance Armstrong was put under. A shadow still hangs over whether he used performance enhancing teckniques, even though he tested negative countless times!

Well - hoping ye all had a great Canada Day. Au revoir - au demain!


2 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger NanNan said...

We could only manage a "drive by"- seemed to be a crowd-Alexis was asleep in the car, so we didn't stop- -Don't know much about baseball, or guitars, but Frank was really interested in your story about it-- You should have entered the TourdeFrance--with everyone dropping out like flies, you might have stood a chance- I dont think it's that France is so ethical, i think it 's more that they're anti Lance, and would do anything to discredit him- most people don't believe he could do so well after battling cancer to boot---

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Those fish and chips sound good. I haven't been paying attention to baseball...but I do remember when the Blue Jays won. All the staff at the Bank wore Blue Jay type clothing to celebrate.
Too bad about the troubles with the Tour de France...I saw part of an interview with Lance Armstrong on TV, and he passed every drug test. It's just not fair to the other athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs. Who would want to win by cheating anyway?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Profile for jgmcrae